Sunday, April 27, 2008

Reflections on Malaysia

Hey kiddos. So the dust swirling out of my wallet has finally convinced me to book a flight back over the big pond. As much as I’m enjoying my travels and as much as I’d like to stay, I’ve also gotta keep enough money to stay afloat while looking for a new job. And with the economy doing so great, it should be a piece of cake, right? Ehhh. The last 6 months of travel have been incredible, but like many good things do, my current wanderings are nearing an end, and I’ll be back in DC on May 10th.

Not to worry, I’ve still got a few more posts to bore all you unsuspecting interweb reading souls. In Malaysia now, so a few observations are below. Next heading to Singapore this weekend, and I’m sure I’ll have a few comments for you then as well. Without further ado, reflections on Malaysia-
Malaysia has helped me identify specific characteristics that made me fall in love with other countries in SE Asia. My last two weeks in Malaysia have been a bit unexciting, which is not to say that I don’t like the country – every place is worth visiting – and every place is what you make of it. But certain aspects of Malaysian life have helped me realize what I find so special about Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand.

Modernization and Westernization

I prefer to travel less developed countries beca
use they’re more different from what I’m used to, and therefore more interesting. However, some developed nations, Japan and Hong Kong are two I know, are fully modern, yet uniquely different from western societies. I can dig those places, too. Malaysia’s modernization, on the other hand, seems to be closely coupled with western characteristics. Former British rule (along with prior Dutch and Portuguese influence) likely played a hand in this, but it’s a bit out of control at the present. Gigantic mega-malls, an array of American fast food joints, and $9 beer nights are not what I seek while traveling.

While Thailand is laying claim to some of these same indulgences, most heavy development is in the south while the north and north-east remain more traditional. Vietnam, Lao, and Cambodia are largely undeveloped, yet provide stunning beauty in the land, culture, and people. In addition, these countries are a little dirty and gritty, which is appealing for the adventurous. Squat toilets, ridiculous bus rides, and thick language barriers are fun challenges that provide rewarding experiences.

To be clear, I do not disapprove of western-style modernization or any way in which a country chooses to develop – I’m just not a big fan of it as a traveler because I don’t find it interesting. And on a philosophical point, I’d rather developing societies not associate McDonalds and other western crap with an improved lifestyle, because it just isn’t true. I’ve met poverty-stricken people with incredibly rich, happy, and fulfilling lives. I hate how people often say “oh, these people have nothing, I feel so bad for them.” While this perspective may be appropriate in some cases, many SE Asian villagers are self-sufficient and perfectly happy with their families and close-knit societies. Western materialism is not going to improve their life – and it’s not improving our lives, either. We just haven’t realized (or admitted) it yet.

Bad Car Traffic

Urban planning
– the designed layout of a town – dictates how the town functions. Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur, and Melaka allow heavy car traffic to fill the streets. Pedestrian and bicycle traffic is not accommodated and is often exposed and unfriendly. Much like the sprawling US suburbs, this only encourages more car traffic. While cities like Bangkok and Saigon also have horrendous traffic, the streets there are littered with motorbikes, tuk tuks, bicycles, pedestrians, and people washing dishes. There’s a heterogeneous mix that makes it interesting and exciting. Malaysian traffic, on the other hand, is more akin to Northern Virginia rush hour traffic. Disheartening instead of intriguing. Which leads to my next item…

No Extreme Motorbiking

Some locals still drive motorbikes in Malaysia, but with all the cars there’s less need to haul a crate of dead pigs or an extended family of 6 on the back of a bike. Holy Christ in flight this stuff is great… Watching motorbike antics in Vietnam and Cambodia, especially, have provided countless hours of entertainment.
Malaysia’s Saving Grace

I know it sounds like I don’t like Malaysia, but it’s just that I really love Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand. The modernism and unfavorable urban design of Malaysia has highlighted my soft spot for these other countries and pin-pointed a few reasons why I like them so much. Yet Malaysia does have one huge advantage over these other guys, and that’s multicultural diversity. Sea trade and tin mining attracted so many Chinese and Indians hundreds of years ago that they almost outnumber ethnic Malays today. This provides an excellent abundance of Chinese and Indian food as well as opportunities to interact with different people. Some of the best (and cheapest) food I’ve had in Malaysia has been Indian, and some of the most rewarding interactions have been with Indians. I may have to wait until next trip to check out India, but I’m certainly getting a taste of it right here.

Oh, sweet Jesus this got long. Way to be if you made it to the end without choking on your own drool! I know I surely had a close call.

No comments: